Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Ideas....

Hello my friends.  This will be very short today... Will and I went to Lafayette today to grocery shop, yep, you guessed it.  Living here and grocery shopping in Indianapolis or Lafayette is a little like being The Ingalls family "going to town"!  But don't get me started on the whole "in town" thing.  It has been one of my pet peeves since moving here.  Apparently the idea that Crawfordsville is a place capable of having an "in town" was lost on me from the beginning, but around here those that live about three miles away from what was once, I am told a thriving downtown/courthouse square area refer to where they live as "out"... as in  "We have always lived out" and they ask me, "Do you live in town?"  This drives me nuts!  It seems so archaic and foreign to me!  Plus what I really want to answer is, "No we don't live in town, we live in Crawfordsville!"   Anyway, I digress... we made it to the grocery and I added a stops at one of the Lafayette area Goodwill stores, and an antique mall called "Leaping Leopard"... while neither yielded any grand finds it was fun to stroll through and look at all the things at the antique mall.  I am on the prowl for a midcetury or minimalist type of chair to put with a desk and possibly a small-ish round table with metal legs.  We shall see if these items arise or if I must wait until garage sale season.  Not that far off, you know.  I am looking for partners in crime for garage sale adventures so let me know.

Now for my idea.  I have had a few friends ask me about my jewlery display in the bedroom.  It is super easy, super fast and turns your collection into usable artwork.  Here is what it looks like in the bedroom.
Jewelry frames

I have a number of large statement type necklaces and they really don't fit in a drawer, plus once I put  them on the wall I found that I wore my jewelry much more often and wore different pieces instead of the same ones over and over.  It is an easy project.  All you need is a frame (vintage or not), some batting that isn't too thick, fun fabric, a staple gun or heavy duty tape scissors and your choice of pins... hat pins, straight pins etc...

1.  Take backing out of frame
2.  Cover the frame backing with the batting and secure it with a bit of tape at the corners.
3.  Cut the fabric to fit over the frame backing with batting be sure to overlap the edges enough that the raw  
     edge does not show under the inside edge of the frame.
4.  Secure the fabric with heavy duty tape or a staple gun.
5.  Push the fabric covered backing board  into the frame.
6.  Hang frame on the wall if desired or use an art easel.
7.  Arrange the pins inside the frame so that each piece of jewelry has enough space.
8.  Enjoy your new artwork!

A couple more pics of mine!  Not that you can't do better.  I have had mine up for a while and though I love this method of display I am really ready to choose some new fabric for a couple of them.

Have a good evening all.  I am thinking about a post about thrifting and bargain hunting in Broad Ripple for tomorrow so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment