Thursday, March 31, 2011

.... The Florida Experience...

We arrived in Florida on Saturday, March 26th.  It was a long but pretty smooth and when we got here it was beautiful, sunny and about 85 degrees.  Ahhhhh...  The nice weather continued on Sunday and then the bottom fell out and it has rained every day since.  That left my sister and me to find other ways to entertain ourselves.

Lisa was in the condo with my parents while I took Will to The Alligator Farm for the afternoon.  She happened to see someone carrying fabric down to the trash room.  It was interesting so she struck up a conversation thus finding out that he, the man with the fabric, was doing redecorating for his wife and they were throwing some items away.  When I got back Lisa and I went down to the trash room... and look what we found!  All for the grand total of ZERO DOLLARS!  My advice to you all... never ignore a good trash room or trash area.  You simply cannot imagine the great stuff people just throw away! The lampshades and the frames are mine and the fabric and ferns are Lisa's.... we make a great team!  Too bad we don't live closer because we could put together a killer shop I am certain!


Here we have two large pieces of nice fabric, two cool lampshades in great condition with pickups, two cute white frames perfect for framing a cool piece of fabric or wallpaper and a nice faux fern!  All for free!!!

I know you are all interested to know what fabulous items Lisa brought in her bag-o-bargains from the Salvation Army in Gainesville.  She has determined that a shop in Gainesville that receives overstocks and sell-offs from Anthropologie and Urban Outfitters takes their clearance to the Salvation Army on a regular basis.  I believe that is every Wednesday morning.  That can be key in the thrifting hunt, to know when local boutiques bring overstocks and leftovers in to consign or donate.  If you ask the staff usually they will tell you, especially if you are in often and they recognize you as a customer.  Here is my photo compilation of all the great stuff.  Each item was $1.69 or $2.99!

Free people sweater and Hei Hei pants outfit total:  $6.50

Odille jacket and Elevenses pants outfit total:  $6.00

Free People top and Santuary pants, outfit total: $5.30

LA Made dress:  $3.50

Maeve dress size 2 (too small) $3.50

Silence and Noise top and Elevenses pinstripe pants, outfit total $4.45

We the Free dress:  $3.50

Elevenses pants: $1.69

Elevenses pants and Little Yellow Button top, outfit total: $4.25
 So what do you all think?  These are some great items and some good deals and I have Lisa to thank for that!  She is an awesome personal shopper and I got to be the beneficiary of her fabulous shopping not to mention an entirely new summer wardrobe with barely any money invested!  As my son Will would say, "Sweet!"

The week has been rather rainy here so instead of a trip to the beach during a thunderstorm we, Lisa and me, went thrifting and look what I got!

Those are two really neat pieces of art.  The covered bridge I liked because of the colors.  The red, blue an green really pop in person.  It was only $7, but an original and I liked it!  The one on the left is a signed piece the artist is V.S. Maris and it is dated 1967.  It is a really nice textural oil, kind of impressionistic.  I looked up the artist online but could only find the name and that he is from New Jersey which we surmised because the frame had a lable from a Red Bank, New Jersey frame shop.  I will let you know if I find out any information about the artist and if it is worth more than the $39 that I paid for it.  Either way it looks really cool.

Well, that is all I have for you today.  The weather here in "The Sunshine State" is supposed to be sunny tomorrow and improving through next week so here's hoping the predictions are true. Enjoy a lovely evening. 

No comments:

Post a Comment