Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Wednesday....

Mercudi mens a siti mana.  Translated:  Wednesday in the middle of the week.  A true statement but in my mother's Italian coloquial vernacular it means, "something that stands out from the others... like Wednesday in the middle of the week."  I grew up thinking that standing out apart fom the others, especially in the way you dressed was a bad thing.  Perhaps twelve years of Catholic school uniforms had something to do with this... hhmmmmm... but as I got older I realized that I liked standing out having my own style and being unique.  I have my favorite shops.  Anthropologie is at the top of the list, but while I love the shop and have visited as many as I can, it is the clothes and not the store itself that draws my attention.  I love to thrift, resale, Ebay... etc.  I look for good clothes, shoes, accessories for me and for my home.  It is a hobby but someday I want it to be my livelihood.  I believe I could do it if only given a chance. 

Yesterday I got a "get out of jail free" card and headed to Indianapolis.  I grew up in the Broad Ripple area.   It was always a bit bohemian and in the last 17 yrs it has become much more "big city" with eclectic shops, ethnic restaurants, delis, bakeries and clothing and home boutiques.... it is a wonderful area!  My favorite shops currently are Artifacts for unique handmade jewelry, The Toggery (#1 FAV) for a huge selection of consignment clothing, shoes and accessories.... lots of Anthropologie pieces found in here for less than half the retail, N. Rue for selective vintage clothing items as well as new merchandise, Mill End Fabrics for beautiful fabrics and remnants just right for recovering that cool piece of thrifted vintage furniture, Rag-O-Rama for more resale clothing, searching the racks is a must in there but it can yield a terrific find on any given day and Surroundings a shop jam packed with home decor lovlieness.  If you are wondering why I didn't list my ultimate favorite, Anthropologie... it isn't located in Broad Ripple....

Later on I may show you all some of my latest round of finds... enjoy your Wednesday....

No comments:

Post a Comment